Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


Just finished making my Pecan Pie and deviled eggs. I think my sister calls them heavenly eggs. It is almost 2 am and we just lost power. Since Alethia didn't have her fan - she is awake and watching me type this post so I will try to keep it short. We are celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow with the only other American family on the island. Our oven is a few centimeters larger than theirs so we are cooking the turkey that they have provided and stuffed. I have had two interesting experiences this week. This first was going to the local university here and expecting to sit in on the lecture. Instead I was the one who gave the lecture. I thought I was just introducing myself but two hours later I was still talking in Indonesian and trying to explain the differences between America and here. First of all they don't have turkeys so we had to get ours from Jakarta. It just so happened a friend had to fly out for some medical stuff and brought one back on the plane - Yummy.... and what a taste of home. There was also a smell of home today... I went to the only place to buy vegetables. - the Wet Market. Wet because all the guts and rotten food is all over the floor. After the market I stop at one of the 3 places to buy take out that is edible for us westerners and smelled this aweful stinch. It smelled just like my dad when he would come in from the turkey house (Love you daddy) and it was coming from me - but where? I realized I had been walking in something that was some kind of gross because the bottom of my pants leg smelled horrible. Like dead turkeys or chickens and then I realized it was a disgusting but nevertheless a reminder of home. So eat lots of turkey and dressing tomorrow.
Alethia has improved her eating and helping habits she now helps with green beans and whatever else I put on the green table. She is especially fond of bread dough so I have to be quick when I am rolling it out.

2 comments:

jcoppenger said...

nice blog! Great pictures. we are looking forward to seeing y'all. btw, check us out too over at www.coppenger.wordpress.com

Michelle said...

I love your blog!! I can't wait to see more! Check out mine at www.newsomenotes.blogspot.com
You guys are still on our fridge (your postcard) we pray for you often...I hope we get to see you again one day!!

Yeah!!!!

Lilypie

She is 5

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers